The island contains the Sveti Djordje monastery from the 12th century and the old graveyard for the old nobility from Perast and further from the whole Boka Kotorska.
Tourists are not allowed to access. It is customary for ships to blow their horn when they pass the Island of Sveti Djordje.
The island of Sv. Đorđe was a town cemetery until 1866 when a new one was built in the northern part of Perast. The priory was conquered by the Venetians and the French and the Austrians used it as a military fortress and built the protective walls with loopholes around it.